Camp Muir, Mount Rainier
July 8, 2006.
A hike to the climber's base camp (10,188 ft.)
on Rainier with my dad, who was in town
for the weekend. For a 4600 ft hike, it was surprisingly moderate
(with just a daypack anyway). But extremely crowded -- the "Half-Dome"
of Mount Rainier National Park. Great views of Mount Adams and St. Helens.
(9 miles round trip, 4600 ft. gain)
Doesn't seem fair to get this kind of view without any work
at all. :P
Snow and Flowers on the Skyline:
One popular trail. Otherwise it would be Paradise.
(1) Flowers and Rainier.
(2) Flowers and Rainier.
(3) Flowers and Rainier.
(4) Chipmunk and Tatoosh Range.
Mount Adams, Hood, and St. Helens above the Tatoosh Range.
(1) Adams. (2) St. Helens.
The Snow Field:
(1) Looking back at the Tatoosh Range and the volcanos to the
Nisqually Glacier crumbling above the Cowlitz Cleaver near
Camp Muir (right).
(1) Me, neat 10,000 ft.
(4) St. Helens.
Looks like there'll be a party at the summit tomorrow.
(1) Start of the route past Muir, over the Cowlitz Glacier and
(2) My dad walking around the Cowlitz Glacier. Some crevasses
(3) Ick. I'd rather sleep in a tent in the cold.
Last modified: Nov 27, 2011